What Is Ambien? If you have the same question in mind then you are most probably browsing around and looking for the best solution to your sleeping problems. The medicine is highly popular because of its capacity to help patients get the sleep they need or want.
There are several things that you need to know about the drug because its use is needed to be regulated or restricted.
What Is Ambien?
It is a sedative-hypnotics drug used to calm and fix the chemical imbalance in your brain that causes a sleep problem such as insomnia. It is an effective sleep medication popularly prescribed short-term treatment for insomnia and is known for its capacity to help people get uninterrupted sleep at night.
Different Forms Of The Sleep Inducing Medicine
1. Immediate-release Forms – The drug and other sleep inducing medicines such as Edluar, Zolpimist and Intermezzo can treat insomnia and can help you fall asleep easily. Intermezzo is the type that can help you get back to sleep when you wake up and have difficulties sleeping again.
2. Extended-release Forms – These are made of two layers and the first layer is the one that dissolves immediately to help you quickly fall asleep. The second layer dissolves slowly to keep you asleep for many hours.
How It Works
There is a natural brain chemical or a neurotransmitter called GABA that controls the communication of brain cells and that works with the drug. When the drug is taken it works with GABA to significantly lessen the likelihood of allowing certain brain cells to become electrically active. When these brain cells are calm and inactive it heightens the chance that the person can easily and smoothly sleep.
The Benefits OF Taking The Sleep Inducing Medication
1. Falling Asleep Easily – People who are having a hard time getting a sleep immediately can easily fall asleep within 15 to 30 minutes after taking the medication. So when a person is completely ready to get some sleep the drug can help him or her go to slumber easily.
2. Staying Asleep – The thing about having insomnia is that even if at times you can finally get some sleep once you are interrupted or you wake up in the middle of the night you will have a difficult time sleeping again. The medication can significantly reduce the likelihood of awakenings and help you have a full night’s sleep. It can even increase the total sleep time and prevent you from waking up early.
3. Non-Narcotic – Since the drug belongs to sedative-hypnotic family it is less likely to cause dependency or addiction as long as it’s taken as prescribed.
Safety Tips During Medication
Although there is a minimal chance that you’ll get next day drowsiness after taking the medicine it is best that you strictly follow the dosing instruction given by your healthcare provider. This can be important especially if you have a job or a regular activity that require you to stay active and alert.
If you have certain medical conditions you should discuss it first with your physician before taking the medication especially if you have illnesses such as :
- Kidney Disease
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Liver Disease
- Sleep Apnea
- History Of Mental Illness – Depression or suicidal thoughts
- History Of Addictions Such As Of Alcohol Or Drug
- Lung disease – Such as Emphysema, Asthma, bronchitis or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
If you are pregnant always ensure that you only use the drug according to the authority and dosing instructions of your healthcare provider. Sleep medicines in general including this drug may sedate the unborn baby especially when used during the last phase of the pregnancy.
If in case you take the medicine excessively or if you overdose you need to seek immediate medical help. You may experience fainting, sleepiness, shallow breathing, confusion, feeling light-headed or even coma when you take the drug more than it’s prescribed. Overdose of this drug can even be fatal when combined with medicines that can cause drowsiness.
The sleep inducing benefits produced by the medicine makes it even more popular to those who have a terrible time sleeping. Many people have questions like What Is Ambien or how it can positively change their sleeping problems. The real answers that a person can get may actually be found when he already experiences he benefits of using the drug. Just as long as the drug is taken properly and in accordance with the prescription of the doctor, it is absolutely safe and effective to use.